Monday, February 11, 2008

Weekend in Latin

Michael, Sam and Dan, preparing to attend a slave auction followed by a Roman banquet. Students offered themselves as slaves for dinner in order to raise money for a scholarship fund.

I am recovering from a weekend spent with about 300 latin-speaking high school students...as one attendee declared, "The Biggest Nerd Festival in Kentucky". It was the Kentucky Junior Classical League convention. What an interesting experience! I chaperoned for the Covington Latin School group of 80 kids...the biggest group there. Our kids totally rocked in almost every competition--from classical costumes to academics, from talent to trivia. I was so impressed at how our kids did. They were wild and crazy, of course--but even MY kids seemed to behave themselves. I think they were too busy and worn out to get into too much trouble. I am especially proud of the excellent hairstyles the boys came up with.
Sam (left) and his buddy Michael. I really like the glowy effect this pink stuff gave off...

Dan was going for a Mohawk, but I think we need to practice that at home a little bit. But I think he could qualify to sub in during a Flock Of Seagulls reunion tour!

I spend alot of time over the weekend sitting around watching the kids have fun. I managed to crochet a zillion granny squares which I hope to someday assemble into a baby afghan or something (depending on how many more I make. It seems "a zillion" doesn't go very far once they are assembled).

No comments: