Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bad Science Day

Maybe today should have been a snow day. I started this week full of ambition about work, ready to get in here and do good science and get wonderful results and help all kinds of people. Instead, I have probable contamination in my Olfactory Epithelium cultures, not enough Neurospheres in those dishes, no mouse pups to start fresh with...the camera on our incredibly expensive microscope imaging system is somehow full of condensation and may need to be replaced...I think we can afford to replace that or keep me on for a couple more months. Kind of a catch-22 there.

But that's why they call it RESEARCH...because we RE-PEAT things.

I have to say that I don't have as many bad science days here as I did at my last job, where I was totally overwhelmed much of the time. Here the pace is much calmer, so I don't panic and make alot of mistakes. I liked working in a really chaotic busy place, the day went by quickly and I got alot done, there were always people to trouble shoot with...but I like having some time and space to myself here more, I think. I can putter around and not worry so much about tripping over someone else.

So now that I've taken a few minutes to feel sorry for myself and to get over it, I'll head back into the world of antibodies, collagen and culture supplements and try to do something that I can't mess up!

No comments: