Monday, March 10, 2008

The Blizzard that was

Well, we had about a foot of snow between friday morning and Saturday afternoon, then the sun came out and it's almost all gone now! Seems kind of anti-climactic--like after all that, we should get to sit around and admire the weather a little more.

I have to say that I really enjoyed sitting around for two whole days doing nothing much. Friday night some friends came over and played board games and had snacks, then Saturday Karen went to a friend's to play in the snow all day (and night) and the menfolk spent the day shoveling the neighbors out. Daniel was especially thrilled to make lots of money doing this...Sam decided after about a job or two that he had enough money and would rather build igloos and play video games.

I was sad to learn today that the father of one of Karen's classmates died yesterday, possibly from a heart attack while shoveling his driveway. Ick. That makes me sad and scared.

I met with two new posing suit clients yesterday...the bidness seems to really be taking off! I really love doing this. I usually take Karen along--I'm trying to gently indoctrinate her into the world of strong women. I don't want her thinking that she has to be a steroid freak, just that muscles are beautiful. I am occassionally conflicted about the sport of body building/figure and fitness competition. I totally admire the work that goes into getting in the kind of shape these women are in, and the dedication and committment. These people eat so clean...but then when it gets close to competition time, the diet gets very restrictive and doesn't seem so healthy. that scares me a little. I appreciate the way that the competitions focus on the feminine aspects of the female competitors...they get their hair and nails done, wear beautiful blingy suits (I especially like the suits...). Not sure about the shoe thing...those four inch stripper heels are icky...but then I realize that they only have to wear them around the stage for a few minutes--it's not like anyone expects these ladies to wear them to the gym! Okay, but the boob thing...that is a conflict for me. There are so many store bought boobs out there! I certainly defend the right of anyone to have boobs, even store bought ones, or to have big boobs reduced...I just hate like hell for anyone to think that they HAVE to get boobs in order to be a successful competitor. hey, the fingernails and hair extensions are temporary...why not go with temporary boobs? They fit nicely inside the suit and there is no surgical recovery time! I'm not going to stay on this soap box...after all, I am blessed to have enough in the boob department--for all of my body image issues, the boob thing has never been a problem for me. So I'll just shut the hell up now.

1 comment:

nottotaled said...

Boobs. I agree with you about them. Your suits are spectacular!!! I love them and I'm happy that people are hiring you. Great job, T!!