Monday, September 21, 2009

Things have been even crazier than usual for us this fall, so I haven't had as much time as I like to spend in my workshop (can you ever have as much time as you'd like in your workshop?). Okay, so that was a rhetorical question. But because it's soccer season, I have managed a few minutes here and there to do some knitting.

I invented a lacy pattern for a shawl/wrap thing that I finished a week or so ago, that's the lovely grey thing up there. I made it from wool that I recycled from a sweater I bought at Goodwill. It was a really soft nice sweater, but it had a few moth holes, so I unknit it and started over. I have enough yarn left to do some hats and mittens, too, I think. I really kind of like the concept of recycled yarn, and when I get some free time (!?) I'm going to explore that some more.
I found this buttefly sunning himself in the garden infront of Latin School one day when I was picking up the boys. I had a dickens of a time getting a good picture of him, as the shutter delay on my camera and his willingness to keep his wings open didn't seem to mesh really well. But I did finally get a shot and through the wonders of photoshop I was able to brighten up the picture enough so that we could finally see him. I am so NOT a photographer. I do try, though, and I get the odd good shot.

I used the same pattern as for my lacy shawl to make a scarf. I used larger needles and a three wrap stitch for the loopy part instead of two wraps as I did on the shawl, so it's got a much more open knit. I used a couple of balls of yarn that I spun from a grab bag I bought last spring.
On the spinning wheel right now I have some alpaca/dog yarn in the works. Dog hair is not the easiest thing in the world to work with, it's awfully short, but it's clinging to the alpaca well enough to spin, I think, and I might be able to make enough yarn to have a Stella and Lucy memento to wear around my neck some day. I might knit Sam a hat from it, he is the most likely victim to appreciate a garment made of dog hair!


No comments: